Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Case in point

I finished Cure for the Common Life and started a new book during my lunch time getaways. Before I tell you about the new book, let me just say that having cleansed my palatte of the last book for about a week, I'm going to return to what I originally said about Christian "self-help" books like that one.

Not my cup of tea.

Here's the problem: for the duration of the time that I was reading that book, I was focused on ME, not God. I need to turn my gaze up, not in, folks. You can see from my blog posts during the time that I was reading the book that I wasn't thinking about anything but me. (And, I deleted one post about 10 hours after putting it up...even in the heat of it, I knew that one was too self-indulgent!)

Moving on...

I'm now reading Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire by Jim Cymbala. Cymbala is the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle, which I was familar because of its amazing choir (which is led by his wife). I'll write more on this book later, but I wanted to go ahead and share what it was that I was reading.

And, while on that subject, I'll also mention that I'm reading Bread and Wine each night. This is a Lenten/Easter devotional book just like the one I read at my pastor's suggestion during Advent (Watch for the Light).

No comments: