Friday, March 26, 2010

Debris

The first step in any spiritual awakening is demolition. We cannot make headway in seeking God without first tearing down the accumulated junk in our souls. Rationalizing has to cease. We have to start seeing the sinful debris we hadn't noticed before, which is what holds back the blessing of God.-Jim Cymbala in Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire
Debris. What an excellent word for the things of this world that we surround ourselves with. No, immerse ourselves in. Willingly, knowingly immerse ourselves in. Things that keep the noise level up around us so that we don't have too much head time. Things that occupy every waking moment so that we can't possibly commit to doing something God is calling us to do.

Heck, we can't even hear Him calling.

I can think of several in my life.
  1. Television. I could add up how many hours of tv I watch every week pretty easily, but I don't want to put it in a concrete number and admit it.
  2. Books. I have started reading from a devotional every night before bed and then I read a Psalm and a Proverb from my One Year Bible. Often I read something that really gets me thinking. Something that is really convicting. But, not one to stay in thought for long, I almost always pick up the book I'm reading for my usual "reading before bed" time.
  3. Music. I have about a 30 minute commute each day. It is never quiet. I fill the van with either my favorite morning show or music from my iPod. (My iPod is not very Christian, by the way. I seem to especially love music that I have to find "CLEAN" versions of when I buy it so the kids won't be exposed to bad language when they ride with me. But I still know what the artist is singing and, let's be honest, the kids probably do, too.) Some days, although not many, I will have a mini worship service in my van with some of my favorite music from Christian artists. Even then, though, I am surrounding myself with noise to occupy my mind rather than sitting still and listening for God.
  4. Photography. I have a photo blog and I find myself striving to put an image out on the blog that will get praise from someone. Anyone. It feels good to be told that something you did is liked. This coming week's blog theme is "manipulated", so it gave me free rein to open up my favorite photo editing software and play with photos. I spent, literally (and I, unlike sportscasters, do know what that means), hours on this.
  5. Online communities. The photography blog is just my latest attempt to reach out into cyberspace and get positive feedback, friendship and affirmation. I have already been through parenting communities, diet and exercise e-mail groups, Facebook, and Twitter addictions. I also love to blog. I have two other blogs beside the photo blog (this one and a more personal one focused on diet and exercise). I have tried to go cold turkey from each and every one of these except blogging. I have broken away from some but not all and every time I break one addiction, I pick up another.
I think I need to pray, as Jim Cymbala put it, for the Holy Spirit to put a shovel and broom in my hand to help me get rid of this debris.

No comments: