Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Growth and direction

Almost two years ago, Steve and I moved from the church we had been attending, the church he grew up in, to a church closer to home. We had several very good reasons for leaving our old church and finding a new church home, but it was still a scary proposition. This was the case mainly because we were moving from a church where we knew almost everyone to one that was much bigger where we knew almost no one.

The first thing I knew I had to do was to find a Sunday School for myself and Steve. We visited a few and found a home in the Asbury Class. The leader of the class was warm and welcoming as was the rest of the class. The class wasn't too large and we liked the sorts of things that were discussed. Eventually, I became co-leader of the class, which made me feel even more at home because I love to teach adult Sunday School.

We went through the new member's class and joined the new church a year ago December. About two months later, the minister announced that he was being moved (as Methodists are wont to have done to them). We watched a minister we liked leave and a plan for church expansion get put on hold.

When we found out who our new minister was to be, I found his wife online through her blog. She found my photo blog and we had lunch shortly after they got to town. A warm and truly engaging person, I fell in love with Mollie and her family through her. Brian's very personal approach to us as members of the church (which isn't easy to do with a congregation of our size) made me thankful that our church had been brought this new pastor.

Now, our church is about to embark on an even bigger expansion than the one laid out in the blueprints that got mothballed a year ago. We recently found out that a loan has been approved for us to purchase a retail center that abuts the church parking lot. Perfectly located for us to grow without "moving", the largest space in the center is a empty grocery store. We will begin renovations there. I have walked inside this empty store and the amount of room is astonishing! I can't wait to see what we will do with this opportunity.

I am also anxious to see and hear what God will call us to do with this opportunity. In reading books like The Jesus of Suburbia, and Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, I have been made keenly aware of how easy it is for today's churches to focus inward on their own members and those members' desires and biases. What I hope to see is vibrant outreach in our community, where we can have true impact on those all around us that are not believers, that are not churched, that are in need.

What will God do with our church? What part will my family and I have in this growth? I guess we all just need to pray and listen! I find this so difficult to do, so please join me!

No comments: