Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Eye opening exercise

I've gotten through the actual reading of Max Lucado's Cure for the Common Life and am now working through the "Sweet Spot Discovery Guide" at the back of the book. It's an interesting exercise designed to make you think back through your life to the things that you did well and enjoyed doing. First, you just write a brief summary of a few of those things from your childhood, youth, and adulthood. Then, you expand on them with more detail, including what was the most satisfying aspect of the experience. I've not gotten any further than that, but just this has made some things more clear than they were before I started.

Do you know what I recalled as I thought back through my life's sweet spot experiences? When I was in grade school, I would write books, complete with illustrations, for a friend of mine. (She did the same for me.) This love of putting something together and sharing it has not been something that only goes as far back as junior high school. (I started down the road to true yearbook geekdom in junior high and went on to become editor of my high school and college yearbooks.) This is a thread that has been there throughout my life. Homemade books. Yearbooks. Family websites. Scrapbooks. Keepsake books. Calendars. Sermons. Blogs.

So, now to finish these exercises, pray and figure out how God wants me to deploy the gifts He gave me for His glory. (It sounds easier than it is, but at least I'm thinking.)

No comments: