Tuesday, February 09, 2010

A disclaimer

I started a new lunchtime book today. The book is Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado. I have to admit, it's not my usual sort of read.

Here's the thing I don't like about this type of book: scripture fishing. These sorts of self-help books will dive into scripture, choosing from many, many different translations, to find a snippet that will fit the particular point the author is making. I'm not crazy about this because scripture is contextual and pulling a verse or half a verse out of context and smashing it into a pretty three step list of how to be a better Christian isn't really the point, is it? I am not saying that the author was trying to manipulate his readers with scripture, by the way. I'm just saying I'm not fond of this particular genre of Christian writing.

However, I have read a few such books before (The Purpose Driven Life anyone?). And, I do think this one will make me think about what my gifts are and how I should be deploying them in the world as God intended.

In fact, today after reading a few chapters, I was asking myself a few questions:

Why did God make me so good at what I do for a career if that career occupies so much of my time that I have had to turn down the opportunities to assist my local church with the same sort of work? (Trust me here, reader. I am not working alot because I'm trying to have a high-powered career. I'm working alot because I can't seem to do otherwise and keep my job.)

Why do I feel that, despite being gifted in these areas, these gifts aren't what God gave me to serve His kingdom with? How can that be right? Am I just not grateful for what He has given? Am I trying to run from the gift by trying to serve my church in other ways, such as teaching?

2 comments:

Brian said...

I say quit your job and devote yourself to full time to service of your local church. We can round up some bread and water for the rest of the family, and we can clothe you completely in hand-knit winter shawls...
Great post, as usual, Terri-
Brian

Terri Milstead said...

Thank you, senior pastor of my local church ;-)